Far out on the promontory lies the big rock that has served as a landmark for as long as Glommen has been a settlement. It is also where Glommen gets its name from.
An old navigation mark
Way out on the headland north of Glommen’s harbour lies Glumstenen (Glum Rock), a boulder that has been there since the Ice Age. Shallow waters and reefs have always made the coastline around Glommen treacherous, and the rock has served as a landmark for ships.
The first historical records of Glum Rock date back to the 11th century, where it was referred to as ‘Glaumstein’ by the Vikings. In Hakon Hakonsson’s saga about the king’s war in Halland in the year 1256, ‘Glumsten’ is mentioned as the landing site and starting point for raids in the north and south of the region. The rock also served as a landmark for sailors up until the 1840s, when the Morups Tånge Lighthouse was built.
Mysterious writings on Glum Rock
In 1816, a man by the name of Sven Petter Bexell carved the water levels of the time into the rock. Bexel carved texts on numerous rocks in the beech forests in Åkulla, often common sayings. Around that time, people were concerned about the falling sea levels, so Bexel decided to investigate the matter by carving the water level at the time into the rock.
- Glumstensvägen 1, Falkenberg